Advancements in digital technology are a keystone of our modern lives. However, these advancements do not come without risks to our security. With more devices connected to the internet and more devices per user, there is a major increase in the data being collected, transported, and stored.
Before joining AIC as Full Professor, Stefan Edelkamp was leading the planning group at King's College London. During his exciting research career, Stefan was also working at the Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics of the University of Bremen, and at the University of Applied Science in Darmstadt. For a short period of time, he held the position of an Interim Professor at the University of Koblenz and Landau and Paris Dauphine University. Stefan earned his Ph.D. from Freiburg University and led a junior research group at Technical University of Dortmund.
His main scientific interest is Algorithmic Intelligence, and includes areas such as Heuristic Search, Action Planning, Game Playing, Machine Learning, Motion Planning (see the related Robot Motion Plannin playlist on YouTube), Multi-Agent Simulation, Model Checking, External-Memory Algorithms, Parallel and Distributed Computing, Algorithm Engineering, Computational Biology, Decision Diagrams, Priority Queues, Navigation Systems, Network Security, and Intrusion Detection. See Stefan's DBLP page for the full list of publications.
Symbolic-Heuristic Search; Strong Solution of General Games; Perfect/Incremental Hashing with BDDs; GPS Map Generation; Planning Pattern Databases, Directed Model Checking for Protocols, Petri-Nets, Graph Transformation Systems and Presburger Automata; External-Memory State Space Search; MCTS for Multiple Sequence Alignment, VRPs and Packing Problems; Model Checking on Multi-Core CPUs, SSDs, and GPUs; Sorting and Searching with Weak/Strong Heaps; Multi-Goal & Group Motion Planning and Inspection; Large-Scale Machine Learning, etc.
Runner-Up: Optimal Track of International Planning Competition (2018), Winner: Optimal Tracks of International Planning Competitions (2008,2014), Influential Paper at ICAPS, Best Student Paper at ICAART, Outstanding Paper at KI, Best Paper at MATES
Lectures & Talks
- Lectures: Programming, Machine Learning, Complexity Theory, Theory of Computing, Algorithm Theory, IT-Security,Elementary Logic and Applications, Software Engineering of Internet Applications, Introduction to Artificial Intelligence, AI Planning
- Invited talks: SOCS, IWOCA , RSS, AAAI/IJCAI AI-Summit, SPP AE
- Teaching: Freiburg, Dortmund, Lörrach, Bremen, Darmstadt, London, Koblenz, Prague
Fahiem Bacchus, Mark Boddy, Dragan Bosnacki, Michael Beetz, Lubos Brim, Tristan Cazenave, Alessandro Cimatti, Martin Dietzfelbinger, Amr Elmasry, Maria Fox, Malte Helmert, Otthein Herzog, Jörg Hoffmann, Stefan Leue, Jyrki Katajainen, Leslie Pack Kaelbling, Richard Korf, Rolf Niedermeier, Ulrich Meyer, Erion Plaku, Peter Sanders, Stuart Russell, Sylvie Thiebaux, Ingo Wegener, Willem Visser, etc.
International Conference on Automated Planning and Scheduling (ICAPS), International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI, senior), AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI, senior), Autonomous Agents and Multiagent-Systems (AAMAS), International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR), International Conference on Artificial Intelligence: Methodology, Systems, Applications (AIMSA), Model Checking Software (SPIN), Symposium on Combinatorial Search (SOCS), European Conference on Artificial Intelligence (ECAI), German Conference on Artificial Intelligence (KI), International Conference on Agents and Artificial Intelligence (ICAART), International Workshops on Graph as Models, Model Checking and Planning, Computer Games, etc.
Other Scientific Activities
- Published THE search book Heuristic Search: Theory and Applications (available on Amazon)
- Member of the Editorial Board of Artificial Intelligence - An International Journal
- Former Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Artificial Intelligence
- Speaker of German Interest Group in Planning, Scheduling, Configuration and Design
- Project Evaluations: Swiss National Science Foundation, Netherland's Organisation for Scientific Research, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Icelandic Research Funds, Israel Science Fondation, Irish Research Council, Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, etc.
Meet the winner of the AIC 2020 Student Paper Award and explore the AI research of all our bright young talents who made it to the finals!
Closing remarks for our discussion on the use of AI in art with the panelists Garrett Lynch IRL, Paul Mouginot and Iskra Velitchkova. Includes a list of sources for further reading and creative experimenting with AI algorithms.